Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pre-Vacation Anxiety


I am developing pre-vacation anxiety. I have the usual list of chores to do to get us ready for our trip to Disney - laundry, packing, grocery shopping for snacks to travel with, get the oil changed in the van, take the dog to the vet and clean the house so that it is in some kind of order when we return. Normal stuff. But in the past few days I've begun to feel the pressure of making our first family Disney experience just right. Checking out all the options, planning each day, making sure we don't miss out on something really special.

You have to understand - I'm not really a sight-seer, planner, traveler, organizer of the agenda kind of vacationer. I'm more of a eater, drinker, sun-bather, reader, relaxer kind of gal. Probably because for me a vacation equals going to the beach. This type of vacation requires very little - bathing suits, flip-flops, a few good books, pool toys for the kids and all the comfy clothes I can find (maybe one nice outfit for dinner out). The point is that usually all of the organizing and stress involved in vacation is simply preparing for the departure. Once we're on the sunny beaches it's a go-with-the-flow kinda life.

Planning for Disney is different. I know this won't be a relaxing vacay. That's okay. It's not supposed to be about relaxing, it's supposed to be about the kids. We've done a little research and asking around about planning our Disney trip. The list of options and deals is ENDLESS - finding the best resort, meal plans, shows, renting a stroller, making reservations for any and all entertainment events that require a reservation months in advance. My boss recommended the website http://www.mousesavers.com/ to help get the best rates and find every conceivable way to save money. It is an incredible resource to help plan your trip. However, the print is about size 6 font and it goes on for miles. Hello!!!! It would take months to go through it all. My head is spinning.

So, like most things for me I find myself doubting if I'm doing this right. I have made reservations for Emma Kate, Alan and I to eat with the Princesses and we are taking her to visit the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique to get her hair done, but other than that we have no real plans. I feel like the very fact that I am admitting we have "no real plans" is practically blasphemy in the world of Disney vacation planning.

But of course when your stressed who better to talk to than mom. She reminded me that she knows all about the resort we are staying at because she goes each year for her conference. That makes me feel better. I don't usually worry about navigation stuff - that's Alan's job - but it's nice to know that mom will be our own personal guide. We will also have 4 adults for 2 kids (Oh, how I love that ratio). And the bottom line is that for Emma Kate this will be a dream come true. She won't know if we have to skip that one ride because it's time for Alden's nap or if we don't make it to every gift shop. The moment she steps through the gate and sees Cinderella's castle she will have experienced it.

Even as I write this I am beginning to feel better. No, I don't have a "Disney vacation file" overflowing with all my research and money saving schemes. Actually, all I have are two post-it notes in my wallet with the confirmation numbers for the lunch with the Princesses and the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique reservations. Weak by Disney vacationers standards, I'm sure. But we're go-with-the-flow kind of vacationers. We'll drive our little mini-van down to Florida and let the Disney spirit move us!

Whew . . . I feel better. Thanks for listening!

1 comment:

  1. If you made too many plans you'd be too stressed about getting to all of them on time! Based on what Mack and I did and saw last weekend everyone, Emma Kate most of all, will be aw-struck. You will have plenty of time. The greatest thing about all the free time is that if you suddenly see Ariel or Daffy Duck you can go get a picture and not have to worry about a "schedule". It's great! It was awesome how all these memories came rushing back to me from when we went as little kids. Make sure she tells Cinderella Hi for me! (Mack and I went to meet her at the end of the day but the line was too long :-)

    ReplyDelete