Friday, February 10, 2012

SUYL - Working Mom

Thank you, Kelly, for this topic for show us your life!!  I have found that most "mom" topics are geared towards SAHM so I appreciate the opportunity to contribute.

I am a working mother to three beautiful children.  My oldest daughter Emma Kate is 8, my son Alden is 4 and I am currently home on maternity leave with our youngest daughter, Izzie who is one month. 

I work full time in human resources for our public school system.  It is a great job which allows me TONS of flexibility as a parent.  I am fortunate that I never miss a school funtion, class party or field trip.  It allows me a career but also to be the kind of mom I want to be.  My husband is a police officer and works CRAZY hours.  One of us has to have a flexible schedule and we are blessed that I do.

I can't say that I have any tips on organization, cooking, planning, etc.  Most days I am flying by the seat of my pants!  My kids eat way too much pizza and cereal and my house is almost always a wreck.  I don't think I will ever be caught up on laundry again - well, maybe when Izzie is in college.  Ha!  I am trying to delegate more responsibility to the big kids since they are old enough to help out.

There are days when I get overwhelmed by the hectic schedule.  These are the days have to sit back, take a deep breath and remind myself that the house is a mess, meals may not always be the healthiest, laundry is piling up because these are the inconsequential tasks.  These responsibilities take a back seat to snuggle time, talking to the kids about their day, watching a movie together, playing outside while daddy grills, etc. 

I have been a working mom for 8 years.  If I have gained any wisdom during that time I would say that the little things don't matter.  They really don't.  At the end of the day all I want to do is spend time the most important people in my life.  So that's what I do.



post signature

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by! :)

    I LOVE this post! I wish I had thought about the "flying by the seat of my pants" point, because that is SOOOO true! How do I keep it all together? Hmmmm, I'm not even sure, but what matters is that I/we do! :) Your children are beautiful! My son and daughter are 4 years apart (he's 6, she's 2) and I always wondered if when he is 8 and she's 4, would we have another one or would that be too far apart...but I must say after seeing your family, it seems absolutely adorable and do-able! :) Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are neighbors! Is that carpet Dalton??? I have definitely spent some time there! CARPET SCHOOL!!! I wish I could just reply to the comment that you left on my blog, but I can't figure out how??? Anyway- it is a race isn't it? I am eating leftover hot and ready pizza at my desk as I type!! We are flying by the seat of our pants down here too! Hang in there! So great to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! I definitely have moments that I am completely overwhelmed, but then I just regroup. :) It sounds like you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete