I'm in the process of giving (actually, paying for) my blog to have a professional design. Yesterday as I was looking through the portfolio of the woman who is going to design my blog for me I stumbled upon a really cute blog of a woman who has a 17 month old son. Cute blog, cute pictures, cute baby. Anyhoo. Her most recent post was a list of the words her 17 month old son can say. Naturally, this grabbed my attention since Alden is about the same age.
I know mothers shouldn't compare their children to other children. All kids develop at different stages, they do things in their own time, blah, blah, blah. I don't often compare Alden to other kids, but I do spend a lot of time thinking back to when Emma Kate was his age. If you know my kids, then you know they are worlds apart in many ways. Emma Kate could speak perfectly clearly from the moment she uttered her first word. By the age of 2 she could carry on a conversation that anyone could understand. She would sit quietly in my lap and read books for an hour or more. I never had to move one thing out of her reach because she simply didn't get into things. Alden is just the opposite. I can't get him to sit still long enough to cut his fingernails. He gets into everything! In fact, I believe he enjoys it more if he knows it's against the rules. He has, in fact, run faster towards something (toilet, dog bowls, etc) when I begin to tell him "no". He is precious and adorable and he uses it to his full advantage.
But back to the blog. So, I begin reading the list of words her 17 month old son can say. It's impressive. I scroll down. Keep scrolling, keep scrolling, keep scrolling. I am NOT kidding! The list was 56 words long!!!! Seriously. Now, that's just bragging. :)
So, here is what Alden has to say:
1. Momma
2. Dada
3. Ebah (Emma)
4. Bye-bye
5. Uh-oh
6. Dah (this can be used for most words)
7. Duh
8. Ubah (Up Please)
9. Dah-dah (thank you)
10. Bah
Need I go on? He has his 18 month check up in a few weeks. I'm hoping we'll have a few more actual words to add to the list by then. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Madison has said... "Mama" once.. :) Does that count?
ReplyDeleteYes, that counts but you'll have work a little harder with her if you want her vocab to be as extensive as Alden's. Ha, ha! You need to be teaching her multi-use words like "dah" that she can use for nearly everything she sees and points at.
ReplyDeleteWhat no pictures?
ReplyDeleteCaiti - Sorry!! I'll definitely post some this weekend. :)
ReplyDeleteI was convinced that Britton was partially deaf when he sounded like he had marbles in his mouth when he talked at age 2. Tate could address the Nation at that age. Kids are oh so different, it took me a while to STOP comparing mine. Brit still has an accent (like "art box" sounds like "out box")but I don't stress about it anymore. I know he can hear just fine. Looks like Alden is right on track for his age- I bet he's got fantasitc grosss motor skills!!
ReplyDelete