A few weeks back I posted about setting some goals for myself. One goal that I am currently working on is a running training schedule to build up to run a 5K. I wanted to let everyone know how I'm doing. Riveting, I know.
Last week I began week 6 of the 12 week program!! Woot, woot! I'm halfway through the schedule and I'm really loving it. It's just beginning to get REALLY challenging for me. For each week there are 3 runs. I usually have to double up on one so I don't get ahead of myself. Plus, I had a week or two when I wasn't able to get in each run. I'm just taking my time and plugging along.
I have learned a few things in the course of this training.
1. I have to do this my way. Alan and I have run together a few times and that is always so much HARDER. I am too aware of his presence and I find that I can't really get in the zone. I love his support, but in a way it's distracting.
2. I am not ready to run outside. I really prefer running on the treadmill. It might sound crazy, but it helps me focus. I know that eventually I will need to run outside for some of my runs, but right now I'm sticking with what works.
3. I got a little arrogant the other weekend and invited my sister and brother-in-law to run with me. This is when I realized the magnitude of changing my environment. With my sister running next to me, Alan running a little ahead of us and all the other people walking, running and driving by I sort felt like I was running with ADD. It was too much! I was embarrassed that the run had been so hard for me and it was then and there that I realized I have to do what works for me. I'm not ready to run with other people yet.
Last week was the first run I wasn't able to complete. I got on the treadmill last Monday right after dinner (not a good idea) to do the first run of week six. I was exhausted from the first 10 hour work day and was not mentally in the right place, but I was determined to get on the treadmill. About 30 seconds into the run I knew it wasn't going to be good. I was immediately winded and my legs felt like lead. I did all of the walking and half of the running. I was really bummed, but it also made me realize that I have to make the schedule work for me and not the other way around.
Since I was so mentally and physically exhausted last week I didn't attempt another run. But today was a good day. I felt refreshed after the 3 day weekend and the 10 hours at work seemed to go by much quicker. I hopped on the treadmill tonight and did a run from the 5th week schedule. It was hard, but SOOOOOOO worth it. I know that since I took a week off I will need to build back up to where I was.
It may take me longer than 12 weeks to get to the end, but I will get there eventually. I am enjoying pushing myself and working hard. It feels great to sweat hard and work on being mentally focused.
I'll give another update in a few weeks (if I've made any progress). :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Stick with it, you are doing Great and once you get a good rhythm you'll be able to run forever! :o>
ReplyDeleteI am so proud! :)
ReplyDeleteWow! I'm always impressed by runners. I see them (whether outside or treadmill) and just am full of admiration. They look so strong and solitary, independent and determined. (you can tell I'm a walker/elliptical girl).
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog! It was great to see your comment.