I'm assuming that most people who read this blog know me in real life and know that my husband is a police officer. And if you don't know me in real life well . . . now you know.Alan has been a cop for nearly 12 years. For the past 5 years he has been a detective, but he has recently been promoted and will now be going back to patrol as a supervisor. Yay!! He and I have talked about this step for a couple of years. We knew it was coming. The promotion is a great thing, but Alan loved being a detective. He worked with a lot of other agencies in our area and came to know some really great people. I know he is going to really miss it.
But we both knew it was time for him to take this step. It's a big step. The biggest difference will be his schedule. As a detective he worked a lot of long, unpredictable hours but it was basically M-F, 8-5. (I use the time 5:00 loosely. Five often turned into 8:00 pm or 10:00 pm or 2:00 am). Now he will be one of 3 supervisors on a shift. He will work most weekends and every 6 months his shift will rotate to a new time (days, evenings or nights).
Ugh!!
Neither of us is super excited about the new hours, but there are some benefits and we are determined to make it a positive thing (I'm still working on it). I was talking to another cop's wife and she said that in the 12 years she and her husband have been married he has never been on a daytime shift! That means that his work hours have always been either 3:00 - midnight or 11 to 8 am. I will count my blessings that we got a few years of a"regular" schedule.
I'm still working on adjusting to what this means for our family, but mostly I am super proud of my husband. He loves what he does. I believe it is truly in his blood. It is what he was born to do. He is the epitome of the classic "good guy". There are good guys and there are bad guys and Alan puts the bad guys in jail. He loves that! And I love that about him.


Way to go Alan! I'll pray for good family friendly shifts.
ReplyDeleteWell said.. great post.. alan is for sure a great guy!!!
ReplyDeleteYay! I will keep you guys in my thoughts during the transition. Best luck!
ReplyDeleteWell Mendy you made me cry - I'm already overwhelmed with God's goodness then I read this and the tears flowed. Thanks for loving my son. I love you - Ruth
ReplyDeleteCongrats to Alan!
ReplyDelete