Monday, December 13, 2010

Nutcracker 2010


Emma Kate's ballet class performed in the Nutcracker last weekend.  The company she takes dance classes at does a VERY professional Nutcracker show.  In fact, the first year I was completely unprepared for what we were involved in. 

(1st year - Little Angel)




Even last year I didn't have the right mentality.

(2nd year - Little Arabian)


But it must be true that the 3rd times a charm, because we were ready for Nutcracker season this year.  And it was a good thing.  This year Emma Kate had 4 extra rehearsals and was in 2 performances rather than just one.  I promised her that when she began performing in more than 1 show I would volunteer to be a "backstage mom" for the show I didn't watch.

(3rd year - Little Solider)


Being a backstage mom was a lot of work.  Only backstage moms are allowed with the girls before the performance (a rule I was not too thrilled about before this year).  Moms drop their dancers off and the backstage volunteers help them get into costume and finish make-up, hair, etc.  All the costumes are labeled and assigned to specific dancers for specific performances.  Most costumes have multiple pieces and a matching headpiece.  It's all very organized.
I enjoyed talking to the little girls and asking them their favorite parts of the play.  Of course, each girl hopes to be Clara one day!  I don't know if EK will dance all through school, but it's so much fun right now.
   
post signature

1 comment: